Affiliate links included for your convenience. Click here to read our disclosure.
I still remember the first time I attempted to make 100% whole wheat bread. I had bought a new bread mixer and thought it would be fairly easy to do. Well...my first time was not easy at all! I followed all the steps (or so I thought) that were explained on the VHS video (yes, I'm that old!) that accompanied my new bread mixer, but I ended up with bread that was as heavy as bricks. Seriously! I was so disappointed.
After many years of trial and error, I am happy to report that this is by far the best 100% whole wheat bread recipe I've ever had. Your search for the best 100% whole wheat bread is over--and I'm happy to share it with you today. Make it your favorite too!
They look beautiful, don't they?
Just make sure you have the right equipment to make fabulous 100% whole wheat bread: (5) Norpro bread pans, Nutrimill wheat grinder, Bosch Universal mixer, measuring cups and spoons, silicone mats, kitchen scale, and bread bags. Enjoy!
- 14-16 cups freshly ground white whole wheat flour
- 6 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 cup honey
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 3 TBLSP SAF Instant yeast
- 3 TBLSP dough enhancer
- 1/3 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 3 TBLSP salt
- 1/3 cup lecithin granules (optional0
How to do it:
- Add warm water to the Bosch Universal, followed by the oil and honey. Mix a few seconds.
- Add about 8 cups of the flour, the powdered milk, and the yeast. It should look like pancake batter. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Add the Vital Wheat Gluten, the salt and the dough enhancer (as well as the lecithin, if you have it). Mix briefly.
- On speed 1, continue to add more flour, until the sides of the bowl come clean (go to my videos link and watch my video on how to add flour to the Bosch Universal).
- Let knead for 5 minutes. Test for gluten development (stretchiness of the kneaded dough).
- Split dough into 5 parts. Shape and place in oiled bread pans. Add a topping (optional) by brushing some egg/water mixture and sprinkling your desired topping.
- Let them rise until almost double and bake at 350 F until golden brown.
If you live in the area and would like to sign up for a one-on-one bread baking lesson, don't forget to visit my Classes page for more information and my Shop. Feel free to comment down below and share it with your friends!
Shop for ingredients and accessories: